Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We love Legos

In my humble opinion I think legos are one of the best toys for kids. My kids rarely play with toys. Don't get me wrong they always love toys, but they don't hold their attention beyond a few hours or days. The one major exception to this is legos. My kids will play with legos for hours. Just the other night we heard a crash and Ken ran upstairs to see if everyone was ok. When he came down stairs with a grin he explained that the kids were just trying to build a tower with legos and it had tumbled down. Leo is starting to move towards the smaller legos. He received this kit for his birthday. You can build three different models with it. Yesterday he and I sat down to build the plane.

Leo made it clear from the very beginning that he wanted to build this himself. I was allowed to tell him what pieces were next and help him read the instructions but if I tried to put any of the pieces onto the model he would get upset. 
Half way through.
At one point he said, "Mom this doesn't look right". He was looking at the instruction sheet. I chuckled. In my mind I thought please I have a master's degree. I have read these instructions carefully and of course I have instructed you right. Outloud I stated, "Sweety I think I know how to read the instructions." Leo replied, "Mom this isn't right". "Well let me see, but really son I think that...well...I think that well look at that those two pieces are upside down." 
It was amazing to watch my son sit next to me for two hours manually being able to manipulate these extremely small pieces. I have always commented on the mind of my son. Never once did I seem him get extremely frustrated. If he couldn't do something he would simply take a deep breath and go at it again until he mastered it. I think this reflects highly of Leo's ability to conquer difficult tasks in a calm methodical manner.


The finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment