Tuesday, June 16, 2009

S stands for Shots


When I came down this morning Midge was telling Leo about his kindergarten check-up he would be going to. She had told him he would be getting shots. She told him they would sing the alphabet to him and every time they said a letter he would receive a shot. Needless to say by the time I showed up at the end of this conversation he was in a state of panic. On the ride to the doctor's office I tried to reverse the damage by telling him that the visit would be to see how big he was getting and tell if he was ready for kindergarten. I knew my words were not making much of an impact on him. When the nurse tried to get his blood pressure and put the cuff on him he was already starting to freak out. By the end of the visit he had relaxed and was having fun, then two nurses came in to give him 3 shots. They got on either side of him and told him that they were going to sing the alphabet song and by the time they were done with the song they would be done with his shots. All he heard was the alphabet song and his eye's got huge. I kept telling him it is only 3 shots but he wasn't listening, rather he kept looking at the needles on either side of him. He ended up doing great and true to their word by the time we finished the song the nurses were done and walking out the door. Although I am a little frightened that he will now be traumatized any time he has to sing the alphabet song. Thanks Midge.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe he didn't bolt right out of the exam room when they started singing. That is one of the funniest stories I have heard in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, if they really gave him a shot for everytime they said a letter I would be freaked out to! Aren't big sister the best? I'm glad he came out alive :0)

    ReplyDelete