Friday, November 13, 2009

Our Amazing Kiddos

One of the most difficult things about my pregnancies is that for my last pregnancy I was diagnosed with borderline gestational diabetes. As a result for this pregnancy my OB said to go on a sugar free diet right from the beginning. One of the things that helped was that sugar actually made me sick for a lot of the first part of this pregnancy. At this point I am over the sickness part of the pregnancy. Of course now I am going into the "sugar season". I was begging my husband to eat as much of the kid's Halloween candy as possible just to get it out of the house.

My major weakness though is baked goods, especially cinnamon rolls. Midge has been begging me to make some. So finally this past weekend I made some. I always have to "healthify" the recipe so I put in some whole wheat flour and flax seed, but kids don't care. I love this recipe. Midge was such a great helper.
I was such a good girl too, I only had one with no frosting.
I can't say the same for the kids.

The big news today was that Leo got his first award at the school's recognition ceremony. Leo got an award for teamwork. Ken and I were able to be there and see him go up on stage and get his award.

What a great kid.

While Leo was getting his award Midge's teacher came up to us and said, "Do you realize that Midge is getting a huge award right now?" We rushed back to the cafeteria and had missed the whole thing - thanks school for letting us know. Turns out Midge read the most out of all the kids in the entire school for the month of October. (This was the month that she was sick and ended up reading several hours a day just to pass the time). The principal called her up in front of the school and asked her what her favorite book was. She responded that she loves Calvin and Hobbes. The principal then asked her why she liked it and she said because it is funny and Calvin always had a lot of emotion. The principal then gave her the very first stuffed animal she was ever given as a principal by another teacher.
Looks like Kermit is the newest addition to our family. We think he will fit right in. Midge wanted to take him back to her class to show her friends. Ken had to pick her up from school with the van so she could get him home.
Midge with her teacher.
I have been meaning to blog about Ken's birthday for awhile now, and here it is November. The girls insisted that daddy wear a birthday crown. Being the wonderful father that he is wore it the entire time.

Ken loves pumpkin pie (and I really don't care for it). Last year I made two pies and forgot to put sugar in them so I figured I owed him a good pie for his birthday.
Ken is absolutely my best friend. He is an amazing father. He teaches the kids how to play and have fun and how to enjoy life. I need to learn more from his example and not let life and schedules get me too set in the routine. He brings so much laughter into our home. Most of the creativity our kids express is a direct tribute to him. Ken is a very hard worker. He is loyal and extremely intelligent. Ken has got a knack for memorization. We are closer now more than we have ever been and I love being married to my perfect companion.

1 comment:

  1. What some great pictures. Leo, I'm so proud of you. I've always known that you are a great team player, and I'm so glad that you were recognized for that. Next time I see you, please show me your award.
    Midge, what an amazing thing for you to do! Reading the most books of anyone in the whole school. Good Job, kiddo. You are such a smart young lady. I'm so glad that you like to read. I can't wait to see Kermie.
    Ken, looks like you had a great birthday. Being w/ your family, eating pumpkin pie, and wearing a crown. It does not get better than that!!!

    ReplyDelete