Friday, November 11, 2011

Family Attempts at a Photo

When I was a kid every year we took a family photograph. I know there was a lot of grumbling, but I really like looking back at those photographs now. I think it is telling that a lot of the pictures locations got closer and closer to home (ie. the backyard) over the years. I also know that we always joke that the things going on behind the scenes are always more telling then the final picture. We have tried to keep the family tradition going with a yearly family picture. True to form it is still difficult to take a great pictures, and often the behind the scenes stuff is the craziest part. (Let's just say you would not have wanted to see me a few minutes before we loaded in the car when I screamed at my complaining children, "Just in the car so we can take the stupid family picture so one day you will appreciate it") 

When you see the final picture you won't understand the effort and work that went in to it. Like for example the fact that Ken had to keep slipping Huck M&M's to be happy during the photographs.
Or that we had to convince Midge that her in a tree while the rest of the family was on the ground was not exactly the family picture we were thinking of. In the end though isn't family about compromise, which is why the kids are in the tree and Ken and I are on the ground.


Or there was this lovely picture where we tried to convince Huck to hold Little Miss's hand...
 but he didn't want to. Run, boy, run.
Of course you don't get to see any of the funny stuff like me clicking the timer button, running back to the family, while jumping at just the right moment over a pile of dog poop...until I forgot to jump. 
Yep fun times. Isn't that what family is all about...missing the crap until it surprises you and you run right through it, only to find that your family is waiting on the other side...to laugh at you.

 Shouldn't that be a Hallmark card or something.

You don't get to see the final photo yet. That will come later, but at least we can end on this note. 



1 comment:

  1. Though I have tears in my eyes from rememebering all those "Christmas photo" moments with you and your sibilings, thanks for sharing your moments with us. It means a lot to a parent when they see that their children carry on tradtions from their childhood. Even the ones that aren't so easy! I remember the one in Logan canyon where dad had to tip-toe thru a spring to get back to us because putting the tripod in the middle of the spring gave us the best shot! Good times!
    Love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete