Friday, October 15, 2010

Mama never said there'd be days like this

Ken and my mom said I need to document this moment. Personally I would like to just forget it and never think about it again. At the same time I know there is an important lesson to be learned by the whole experience. On Monday I was rushing to get the kids to school. In the rush I didn't properly buckle baby Huck into the stroller. As we were walking without my realizing it he was slipping. One second I was walking along talking to the kids and the next second I heard a terrible sound and the stroller stopped. It took me a moment to realize that he had slipped under his tray and had banged his face on the pavement. When I picked him up his mouth was full of blood (later we realized he had simply cut his lip) but mouth cuts bleed so much. Luckily it had happened right next to a friend's house. I scared her to death when I banged on her back door, but she was able to help me with Huck and I was able to send Midge and Leo on to school.
In the end he is fine, although he has fear issues with strollers now. This entire experience was a wake up call for me that I need to slow down more. I felt so bad that Huck had to be the one who got hurt in teaching me this lesson. The fact is that often I look at my daily life as one big to do list. I race through the events of the day looking at each task as something to accomplish. In the process I am forgetting the moments to be lived in the process. I am learning I need to realign my priorities. I feel like I have had several experiences recently that have shown me I need to do this, hopefully I can just learn this lesson without any more visible reminders. Rather than rushing through the day I need to enjoy the most important things. Of course certain things need to get done and there are times schedules have to be followed, but not at the expense of myself and my family.

I am grateful that Huck had minor injuries, despite what happened to him. As proof that Huck is fine here are some of his latest photos.







He is so close to crawling. He gets frustrated because he can't move exactly how he wants to. Frequently he will find himself going backwards when he wants to be going forward. He also loves chewing on his toes.


I think he is going to be needing a new haircut soon.
Our next little reader.

3 comments:

  1. Very good post Kirsten, great pictures too, you have such a great eye for photography. Just remember, "Slow down you move to fast, you got to make the morning last...Feelin' Groovy." Oh the 60's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! I'm so glad he's ok. I LOVE those pictures of him, and that outfit is adorable! See ya tomorrow! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have felt what you are feeling so many times!!! The craziness of life just knows how to take over sometimes. Thank goodness we have the gospel that can help us center our priorities and that we have forgiving kids who just love us no matter what. I know you are a fantastic mom. Keep smiling:)

    ReplyDelete