The second day of my trip to Maryland was such a big day I am going to have to do it in two posts. We decided to start the morning by visiting the National Cathedral. My brother-in-law had suggested visiting it the night before and to be honest I wasn't really sure that a church would be that impressive. We chose to have my sister drive on this day. She drove me to the sites while I got to tour around and then jump back in the car. This way we didn't have to look for parking or haul around the kiddos.


The other great thing about our plan was that I got to see a lot of things but didn't get stuck having to take lengthy tours.




After the Cathedral we took a tour of Embassy Row. It was interesting to see all of the different buildings for each country.




Next stop was Lincoln Memorial. This was the only day that was raining. This picture was taken through the car window.


I love the Lincoln Memorial. On my next visit I would love to see it at night.


I had a nice Asian couple take my picture. The husband kept speaking to me in Chinese and I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Then I ran over the Vietnam Memorial.


I really enjoyed seeing the Memorial. The only thing that was frustrating was that there were a lot of school groups touring. The teenagers just didn't appreciate what the Memorial was about. They were laughing and talking loudly and chasing each other. I saw the same thing happen at other sites as well and I just have to question the worth of taking school groups to this site if they can't truly appreciate and respect what they are seeing. The afternoon was spent at Arlington Cemetery. I will post more about this later.
Wow - we have to put those sites on our lists of things to see when we go out to DC. I love the picture of Lincoln. I'm excited because I'll be at that exact spot for a raly in August for the troops. Can't wait.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mimi