Thursday, July 2, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Ken and I were able to have a great night tonight with our little boy. Our home teacher has season tickets to the EMs baseball team. He wasn't going tonight and asked us if we wanted the three tickets. We thought it would be fun to just take Leo. We got a babysitter. Leo was so excited he got dressed up in his baseball hat (given to him by DJ Hunter - a player on the UofO Ducks baseball team, and family friend) and his baseball jersey. He kept wondering if DJ would be playing tonight, but I told him this wasn't a college game.

We had great seats right behind the home plate.

Leo did great watching the game until he started getting tired about 1/2 way through.

Ken was giving him plenty of guidance on the rules of baseball.

At one point Leo started getting really restless so Ken took him out for a walk around the stadium. They had a vendor set up that would allow people to throw the ball and see how fast they were throwing. Liam wanted to do it and threw 33 mph! We thought that was pretty amazing because a kid who looked 12 had thrown right before him and had thrown a 42.

Since we were in my old neighborhood. I thought it would also be fun to show Leo the college house I lived in "the old blue house". The landscaping had been updated, and I had seen pictures on the internet when it was on the market a few years back. It looks different, but it was still fun to look at it and remember some old memories. For example the small windows on the east side of the house on the second floor are the windows I crawled through to get into my roomate's room after she locked her keys in her room, fighting over the one phone or dirty dishes left in the sink, playing minature golf in the backyard, carrying my own roll of toilet paper to the bathroom because everyone refused to buy anymore, or the time the roof caved in just minutes after I had left my sun room (ah good times!)
Liam of course was not impressed at all. He simply wanted to race to get to the ball game.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun outing for the three of you. I like the idea of having the parents go out with just one of the kids. It seems like it would be a great opportunity to bond and just talk.

    It's funny how nice the blue house looks now, and what a difference a little tender loving care has done for it. Good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know you had a blog! I've seen the occasional comments on Karen's blog (you may have even commented on mine once) but I just didn't realize you also had a blog. Anyway... Time to add it to my blog list!
    We went to the Em's game the next night to watch the fireworks. Very fun. We try to make it to a couple of games each summer.

    Also. To get pics off your cellphone (it's actually a LOT easier than I ever thought it was). You basically just "text" it to your email. Select the picture you want and choose the option to send it (via multimedia or whatever) and then in the address line of the text put your email address instead of a phone number. [There may be another, easier way to do it - as in actually uploading them to your computer - but I'm not sure how to do that and we don't have any sort of connecting cord from our phone to the computer.] Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I came across your blog from your comment on Best Bites of all places. I LOVE their site!

    ReplyDelete