For the past two weeks our little family pet has been going down hill. On Thursday he passed away. Midge has had 4 hamsters (Hammie, Panda, Snoopy and Snuggles). All of the hamsters Midge has trained herself. Our last hamster Snugs was a great hamster. He never bit anyone, once Midge trained him. I especially liked him because he didn't chew through clothing like Panda. Midge is amazing with animals. I haven't quite seen a person of her age that has such a deep perception of what animals need. She takes really good care of her hamsters too. She helps clean out the cages, feeds them, and makes obstacle courses for them. I have also noticed that she is getting better at dealing with their deaths. Part of having animals is the likelihood of dealing with their passing. Midge took Hammie and Panda's deaths very hard, but with Snuggles she was able to deal with it with an amazing sense of maturity.


Poor Midge. Are you guys planning on getting another one for her? You guys should buy stock in hamsters. I think you should have made this post heading 'Another One Bites the Dust', because that Queen song came to mind when I read it. Obviously I'm not as talented and sensitive to animals as Midge is. Tell her we are sorry for her loss.
ReplyDeletep.s. - Cute pictures of her and her hamster.
I like that she has a soft place in her heart for animals--especially hamsters. We must have 10-12 hamsters when I was growing up (King, Hammibal, ...hmmm I can't remember their names). When I was a teenager (and could drive) I went over to the pet store at Valley River and bought a hamster (after my mom had said "NO MORE HAMSTERS!" Once I got it home I hid it in its cage in my closet. (Did I really think it was going to live in there forever without her knowing about it?) Anyway, that first night it started running in its wheel: 'squeak... squeeeeeak, squeak, squeeeeeeak' I was mortified. My parents bedroom was right across the hall and I was sure they would hear it. I was frantically trying to find something to grease the wheel with at 11 at night. I ended up trying tons of things in my bathroom including my makeup remover! Ahhh, memories.
ReplyDeleteKaren that story is hillarious, and Shauna just wait until your kids get a pet. I think you are more like Leo when it comes to pets. Two weeks after his fish died he came down one morning looked around and said, "Where is my fish?"
ReplyDeleteMy son loves animals too. He keeps begging for a rat. I haven't broken down yet, but I know I will have to soon. It's what he wants on his Christmas lists and birthday list every year. So far he has gotten a lot of battery operated animals. Lame, I know. But so much easier:0)
ReplyDelete