Thursday, January 21, 2010

Martin Luther King Day

One thing that bugs me is when kids have a day off from school and they can't tell you the reason behind why they were off from school. I feel that our children are getting old enough that they should be able to understand the importance of Martin Luther King and some of the things he stood for. I wanted to find a meaningful way for them to help others. When the kids woke up we told them about Martin Luther King and that he talked about equality and helping others. The kids have also been hearing about Haiti and we wanted to try and do something for the people in Haiti. We told the kids that by doing some chores around the house they could earn money and we would send it to the people of Haiti. At first Midge wanted to know why we didn't just send the money, but we told her we wanted them to put a little effort in to it.

I wasn't sure how the kids would respond, but they got really excited. When I was upstairs I could hear them talking. Soon Midge had everyone organized. I thought they would only do one job on the list, but they insisted on doing everything on the list. They worked so hard.
Even Little Miss got in on the action.


After we were finished we were sitting around having lunch with the radio on. A reporter came on the radio and he described how a little girl came up to him in Haiti and told him she hadn't eaten in 5 days. The kids looked down at their plates and then at me. Midge said it made her want to send all of her money to help them. I told them to always value what they have and appreciate living in the United States. We are truly a blessed country.




3 comments:

  1. FABULOUS! What a great lesson for your kids. I just watched a video about the devestation in Haiti. They dug an 18 month old girl out of the rubble. She had been stuck there for three days with no food or water. It broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! Kids really are far more capable of compassion than we realize sometimes. Beautiful lesson, Kirsten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome that they were so excited to help! I will have to keep this idea tucked away for when Ethan is a little older.

    ReplyDelete