Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lots of changes

 Several weeks ago we told our kids some big news. We had 4 scraps of paper folded up and we had them race to them and put them in order to make a sentence. I was so excited to see the expressions on the kids faces. Little did I realize that the children would swap the words to say Are we buying a house. Midge in disgust replied, "Yeah that's been the big question all year. Are we buying a house?" The kids started to walk away thinking it was a joke. I reminded them that sentences start with a capital and end with a period. 
They than rearranged the words and got this...
 Then they were excited. Here is our new house on the very first day we got the keys and got to go inside.
 When we walked in the front door they started screaming in excitement because the realtor had left us a basket full of candy and treats. They thought it was the best house ever. 
 We moved into the house Friday night. A ton of people from the ward came and helped us move from our tiny duplex and into our new 3 bedroom. My parents took Huck and Midge. They brought them back on Sunday morning. We took Midge and Leo individually and told them that Ken was going to be set apart that morning as bishop of our ward. 
Midge is very close to her dad and she is not naive enough to know that this would be a big sacrifice on her part. She expressed her concerns that she wouldn't be able to spend as much time with her dad. We talked to her about the fact that it is a blessing she is part time home schooled and is able to be taught history and geography by her dad this year. While he will be busy I am grateful that they will continue to have this time together. Leo on the other hand simply shrugged and wanted to know if he could go and play. We decided not to tell Little Miss because she has a very difficult time keeping secrets. 
 The major surprise was Mike and Judy McPheters were able to drive 1,000 miles from St. George, Utah to see Ken set apart. They were a major part of Ken's conversion to the church and he was greatly admired them for years. We have shared our family with them over the years, but I had never met them. As soon as we were sitting in the stake President Ennis's office and he extended the call I got a clear feeling that I needed to contact them. I contacted them over e-mail and they said they would try to do what they could. I then didn't hear from them for several weeks. Then all of the sudden on Friday morning 3 e-mails came in each with a more urgent message asking me to call them because they were on their way. Luckily I was able to call and make contact and give them all the information. 

When we arrived at the church building I spotted them sitting in the congregation. Ken didn't notice them. I turned him around to face them and he did a double take and suddenly realized who they were. He was in disbelief that they had come and was emotional to be able to give them a hug and have them there to support him. Later Mike, my father and the stake presidency was able to set him apart. It was great to be surrounded by family and friends. 

When it was announced in church that Ken was the new bishop there were so many people that expressed their approval and support. Some saying that they had known he would be the new bishop. Ken and I were both asked to talk and share our testimonies. Ken talked about his disbelief at being asked to be bishop and questioned who was more surprised at the extending of a call either himself or Paul Campbell, a friend who was recently called to be the primary chorister. He also talked about the many people who were an example to him and who had formed him into who he is. He called these people his heros. He than implored people to come to him and give him the opportunity to serve them. 
 The other wonderful thing that has happened to our family is chance to spend time with one of our favorite families. We have tried to help by taking the kids to church while their mom studies for her nursing degree. They have 4 sweet little girls and our children love them. 

 The girls love Leo. He has a special bond and is so patient with all of their attention. 

 Two kiddos have developed a special bond. Huck has formed an attachment with one of their younger daughters. The two of them have a similar personality and a tendency to get into mischief together. They would often shadow each other and were usually always playing near one another. 
 The other bond that has been formed is between Leo and the other youngest daughter. I think these two have similar personalities too. They tend to be calmer and more easy going than their more boisterous siblings. I would often find these two in quieter spots playing and laughing together. We have loved the opportunity to spend time with them and get to know them even better. 

Overall this month has been probably one of the biggest top events in our family's life. We are excited to see the changes that will come and the balancing act our family will need to achieve. The amount of peace that has been in our home despite the immense challenges has been unbelievable. Ken and I have grown so much closer and without even fully speaking we are often able to sense what the other one is thinking or needing. We have experienced some tremendously personal things and it has created a deep bond. My hope is that my children will be able to also feel this peace and always know the tremendous love their father has for them. 

1 comment:

  1. Just sit back and watch the blessings pour in! Though at this point, I would never want Casey to be re-called to be a Bishop, at the time, his release was soooooo hard. That calling, more than any other was the biggest blessing in our life. I mean it when I say you can call me anytime. Casey is gone at the Stake Center every night of the week too so I am alone most of the week! If you ever get discouraged, call me and we can miss our husbands together :)

    ReplyDelete